Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Day In NYC!

A couple weeks ago I got this idea in my head that I wanted to go to New York City to see all the Christmas decorations.  I don't know where it came from, it's been a few years since I've been to the city and it's not something I usually think about doing even though it's really not that far away. So we jumped on the express train this morning and arrived in Grand Centeral Station an hour and a half later :)  I had taken the train to the city once before but I had never been there before.  The main room was beautiful! It seemed so much bigger then pictures I've seen of it.

So my mission was to see the Christmas decorations, and what more iconic Christmas decoration in NYC then the giant tree in Rockefeller Center?  We made our way over there through the crowd and I was able to get a few pictures of the tree and the ice skating rink.  I had been hoping to do my "Where In The World" handstand there, but I was starting to lose hope in being able to do it because it was so busy, but we found a little space and I was still able to do it  :)
With my goal fulfilled we were off to Times Square!! We passes plenty of other decorations and interesting sights on the way, like a giant string of lights!  Time Square was nice, and the New Years Ball was there still lighting up the big 2011. We even got up on the big screen out in front of the Forever 21 building  :)  (I'm the one with the camera in front of her face :) Big surprise I know)
















As we continued further down town we went by the Macy's store and stopped to look at some of their window displays which were amazing!!
All of the puppets were really cool!


I was even in one of the windows ... not really but I caught my refletction in some glass that was spinning in and out


One other thing I wanted to do was try out a restaurant I saw on TV.  I had been watching the Travel Channel or Food Network, I don't remember which, and they did a show on interesting restaurants across the country.  One of the places highlighted in the show was this place called S'MAC's. It's a little hole-in-the-wall place that makes special macaroni-and-cheese!! I'm not kidding!! When I saw it I thought it'd be cool to check out (I mean who doesn't like mac 'n' cheese?) and thankfully my companions were willing to give it a try with me.  It was delicious!!
They have about a dozen different kinds as well as a make your own option.  I tried the cheeseburger variety, so good!!

Before ...

... After














We made a quick stop in Little Italy for (what else?) cannolis!  Then made our last stop of the trip which was down to Ground Zero.  I had never been down there before even before 9-11 (I don't think anyway ... maybe as part of a school trip but I don't think so).  We went into the memorial preview place where they have a timeline of what happened on 9-11 and models of what the area is going to look like when it's all done, but we just missed out on getting passes to go into the construction area to see what they have done.  They have most of the area blocked off so there wasn't too much to see, but a couple of the buildings are going up and there are pictures of the fountain memorials that are going where the bases of the twin towers stood. 
It was such a great trip, we couldn't have asked for a nicer day!!  The weather was perfect for walking around the city!!  It's definately something I'm going to have to start doing more often!!
Cheers  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment