Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Southwick's Zoo

Again I find myself playing catch up with my latest little excursion and photo update, but here it is!!  I made the trek up to Mass with my friend Emily to the Southwick's Zoo.  There's something about zoos and aquariums that I just love!!  The different kinds of animals is great and you never know what they're going to do, which, in my opinion, makes photographing them fun :) Anyway, there was a lot to see!!
I had to get a shot of the water fountain!!
<< It brought back memories, there used to be one at Mohegan Park when I was a kid :)




There were a bunch of animals, like the Rhinos, that they don't have at Roger William's




The white peacock was beautiful and we happened to catch it when it had it's feathers fanned out
















There was a petting zoo with a bunch of adorable baby goats


Parakeet Landing was neat, I was amazed at all the different colors
Then we caught a show about all the different parrots at the zoo
























Before I went I found out that the zoo offers a Giraffe Encounter!!
I got super excited because I've had a thing for giraffes since I took a picture of one back in high school.
Sadly the tickets for the day had already been sold out when we got there, but at least I got to see them :)

Guess I'll just have to go back to get to feed them!!

I may have missed the giraffes but there was a deer nature walk that did result in some interesting encounters!!
I'm used to white tailed deer roaming through my yard, but these deer were some kind of miniature variety.
There were a lot of them and I even got to pet one :)



Photo By: Emily Fournier
Along the trail we came across a big pond.
As we were approaching it in search of the bull frogs that were croaking, or possibly a turtle, little black spots on the path were jumping all over the place.
After further inspection we discovered they were little tiny frogs, and at the ponds edge we discovered there were thousands of them!! And even more still in tadpole form


There was a vast array of monkeys.












I loved this little guy


We even hung with the chimps :)


:)
The big cats were the last big attraction.
They're all such beautiful animals



















Couldn't have asked for a nicer day, and a great way to kick off this summers adventures!!
Cheers :)

2 comments:

  1. So the chipmunk and I get to be big cats, eh? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well I liked those shots and thought they spaced out the different cats nicely :)

      Delete