Sunday, October 7, 2012

What I Like About . . . NASCAR

I've had people ask me what it is about racing that I like, and to be honest it's hard to put into words.  Yes, it's guys driving fast cars . . . in circles . . . for hundreds of miles . . . in circles . . . and I really can't say what is exciting about that, all I can tell people is they need to go to a race and either they'll get it or they won't.
Going to a NASCAR race, there's no shortage of interesting things to see and excitement.
So here's what I like about NASCAR . . .
The walk through the parking lot and camper lot is always entertaining.  The way NASCAR fans like to display their loyalties towards their favorite drivers and what they like to do towards the ones they don't . . . The camper lot is full of everything you could imagine, flags and driver apparel, kiddie pools, grills that look like V-8 engines, bottles and cans left over from the fun the night before . . . There's something to make me smile every time we go through :)
Before you ever get to the track there's a feel of a fair, but instead of horse pulls there's a lot of horse power, and instead of fresh country air there's a smell of tar and gas and grease.  Many of the car sponsors and manufacturers have areas set up out front handing out samples or have the latest model cars for you to look at.  The Army and National Guard usually have recruiting booths and exercise challenges going on. SPEED has their broadcasting booth set up, Sprint will have this years Cup trophy behind glass for spectators to see.

Even after you get to the track, there's a lot to see before the race ever starts.  The drivers all have their trailers, and to be honest I love walking through just to people watch.  NASCAR and racing in general attracts such a wide variety of people there's always someone walking around that'll make you shake your head or raise an eyebrow.  The pit area is another place that's all a bustle in the morning, if you ever get the opportunity to go in there take it!!  Had cold passes one year, coolest NASCAR experience ever!!  There always a pre-race concert and when they finally start introducing the drivers you know you're getting close!!
I hear you, you're saying 'Sure, Dee, that's great and all, but I still don't see it.' Okay, okay, I'm getting there, what I really love about the races.  I love how during the invocation and National Anthem the drivers and crew all line up by the car down pit road.  It just looks so nice.  Then they always do a fly over during the National Anthem . . .  doesn't get much more American at an outdoor sporting event then that!!










Pit stops can also be added to my list of favorite things.  It's like a dance the way everyone moves and works together and in 13 seconds or less they can have 4 tires changed, fill the tank with gas, and make whatever other adjustments the driver or crew chief wants.  The first time I saw it all happen live I was hooked.  A line of cars was coming in and one would dart over and it was like a swarm of bees attacking it, then a few seconds later it would dart back into the road and take off. Maybe I'm crazy but I thought it all looked pretty cool :)

And my absolute favorite part about going to the races . . .
Okay so the video isn't that great and doesn't do it justice but you get the idea.  43 engines all roaring to life.  It's exhilarating!!




 So anyway, that's what I like about NASCAR.  If you've never experienced it and can't see what it's all about, try checking out your local track and it may surprise you :)

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment