Saturday, September 8, 2012

A Little Perspective

My day started out like any usual Saturday. Got up, went to work, got really excited when I discovered that Dunkin Donuts had brought back pumpkin muffins for the fall, but when I got to work it all changed.  I decided to make a quick dumpster run first thing before the day got crazy.  I stepped out the back door and immediately noticed something out of the usual.  There was a pink and red balloon attached to an envelope  about 10 feet from the door.  Of course I'm curious and started wondering what it could be, I've heard of different schools or groups sending up balloons and things for research and you've got to call a number or email someone telling them where you found it. On my way back inside I picked it up and when I saw what was on the envelope I almost began to dread what I had found. The envelope read "Nonni Love Nicholas" with little hearts between each word.  I had a feeling I knew what I would find inside but I still felt compelled to open it up.  At first it was like I thought, a little boy writing a letter to his grandmother in heaven.  The further I read the more I began to realize that despite the child-like penmanship, this was not a little boy at all, more a young who had experienced a lot of emotional pain and loss in his life and had looked in all the wrong places for help.  He mentioned his drug abuse and how he was sorry for the things he had done, but was asking for the strength to get better.  He talked about how he missed her and her pasta sauce, but knew she was still with him :) As I read this letter it made my heart really go out to this young man.  I don't know if it's because I also have a Nonie looking down on me from heaven, and it made me think of her and how much I miss her too, or just to read how open and honest this young man was and to just pray that he finds the strength he is looking for and find peace.  I can't really properly put into words what it made me feel, but I just felt like something inside was seeing things from a different perspective, like a lot of the problems and stresses in my life can really be so small, and that I am so grateful for the friends and family I have here beside me and watching over me, and to just cherish the moments we have together.
Nicholas, whoever you are, where ever you are, I pray you can find peace and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment