Wednesday, August 29, 2012

City Day


Last week I was fortunate to take a little surprise trip to New York City, and it was a fun filled day with a lot of firsts!!  I was up with the sun and Shari and I caught a ride on the early train to the city!! We were there about 9am and headed for Time Square for some shopping and a Ferris wheel ride :) I think the only shopping I've ever done in New York was at FAO Schwartz, I've never been to the Toys 'R' Us in the city so that was a first, and I'm not usually one for Ferris wheels, they freak me out if I'm not careful, but when you have the opportunity to ride one inside with Scooby Doo, wouldn't you?
















So after some shopping and lunch it was time for the day's main event!!  We headed over to Radio City Music Hall :) I've been trying to think back on the trips I've taken to NYC and I don't think I've ever even been by it before, I mean I've seen pictures but I don't think I've been there, definitely never inside and WOW was it beautiful!!

Everything was big and elegant, and they have the biggest bathroom I have ever been in, in my life!! The lobby area was beautiful but when we walked into the actual theater it was just breath taking!!  It was like everything was made of gold and just shined!!













Hopefully the video will work, it's not spectacular or anything, just the inside of the theater.

Cirque du Soleil's Zarkana was playing and it was amazing!! Some of the characters were out roaming the theater before the show started having fun with the audience. It never ceases to amaze me the things that Cirque can come up with, like they would use the backdrop as a video screen to make it look like stage went back forever and you really had to look hard to figure out where the real acrobats ended and the digital ones began, and they had this girl who drew in sand, that may not sound like much, but they projected the images as she did it, it was like her hands would flutter over the sand and these images of the show would just appear!! You really have to see it!!  There were trapeze and high wire acts, there was a wheel of death like in Kooza, acrobats throwing and catching each other, clowns that would make you laugh . . . it was a fantastic show!!

Another video of some of the characters before the show.

When the show was over there were more first experiences in store.  We decided to take a walk over to Central Park.  I've walked by it but never through it, though I've been hoping for the chance to see it.  Shari was hunting for a horse drawn carriage ride but along the way we found a cyclist with one of those buggies on the back and we decided on that instead. Never done that before either!!
Our "guide" was fun, he would point out all the sights and famous buildings or where celebrities lived, and then we could get out at a few places to take pictures. Like this fountain that's in bunch of different movies
But what I thought was cool, the bridge that I took the above picture from, if you walk underneath it, it's not what you would expect in the middle of the city.  It was a beautiful tile mosaic down there!!
There were a few other famous spots that we got to stop too, like this fountain:
Look familiar to anyone? . . . Darline? . . . And of course when he pointed out the building from the Ghostbuster movie I was all over that one!! Loved the Ghostbusters growing up!!
And this next one's not the best shot but it's the bridge from "Home Alone 2" when he sets off the fireworks at the end.  It's called 'the pointless bridge' or something like that because there's no point to it since there's no water running there.
This bridge does have a point, it's the love bridge or proposal bridge, forget which, but it's very nice and a pretty spot


 When we had finished our tour of Central Park we started heading back in the direction of Grand Central Station, but when he came across Rockefeller Center we had to take a detour.  That was a NYC attraction I have seen many times, but when we stopped it made me realize I had never been there when it wasn't Christmas.  It was a little strange, and I couldn't help but wonder where the Christmas tree was?! The ice skating rink had been transformed into seating for the cafes, and the alley way where the angels were usually lit up looked like a tropical getaway!!

Sadly the wonderful exciting day had to come to an end at some point.  We got to watch the sun setting over the city from the train
It was a day of unforgettable experiences with a wonderful friend :) 
Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment