Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Looking For Someone's Story ...

So, I've got a lot of catching up to do...

Been so fortunate to have a lot of opportunities to go out shooting lately and have a ton of pictures that I have sitting ready and haven't decided how to post them or what I want to do with them ... Well, I might as well get posting I suppose, so I'm going backwards starting with my Halloween shoot at an old Norwich cemetery.  Been there once before a couple years ago, and Halloween is always a good day to be in an old cemetery shooting.
I'll never know what it is about old, dilapidated, rusty stuff that attracts me... I've never been one for antiques necessarily and I have a more modern style typically, but show me something old and falling apart and I want to shoot it.  I don't know why ... A sense of mystery maybe? Like what stories does this thing hold?  I find old cemeteries interesting and a little sad.  There are so many stories and memories that could be so interesting to discover, but are sadly lost.  Once upon a time these graves were cared for, these people were loved and missed.
 I always wonder who they were and what happened.  I find it interesting trying to read old tombstones.  Many of these really old cemeteries have stones that are so worn and broken they're hard to read, but the words or dates that are legible ... That's all that's left of someone ... It's sad.  After someone's lifetime, some cut shorter than others, it can all just fade away...
I wonder if they're still there. I do.  I find myself apologizing and thinking 'excuse me' as I walk around these places.  I'm not a ghost hunter, though I've been addicted to it and find it all fascinating, and this isn't the first time I've gone shooting at cemeteries, I've done it a number of times, and honestly if I ever caught something unexplainable I really don't know how I would react.  Hopefully the people here are all at peace.
I'm just looking for a different kind of history, looking for something unexpected.  I guess I don't know exactly what attracts me to these types of places, what attracts anyone to anything?  Can you put that feeling into words? ... Me either ... that's why I take pictures.  I struggle with words and pictures are usually pretty natural.  I don't know if what I see and how I see it or what I feel is necessarily conveyed properly through them ... But I feel better ...
It's usually quiet here too... Really quiet.  Normally I need some sort of background noise, music or a movie on in the background, something.  It's helps me focus, or maybe it offers a distraction from whatever I'm doing so I don't go crazy, I'm honestly not sure which... Point is, I've never felt the need here.  Don't know if there's a part of me that's listening for something I never hear, or maybe the silence is loud enough I don't need something else, but I've never been stir crazy from the quiet at a cemetery... Surprisingly.
I guess, despite the sadness that sort of surrounds a cemetery, there's something peaceful too.  I mean who would want to rest for eternity somewhere unpleasant?  There's usually trees and flowers and open space so plenty of sunshine.  Maybe that helps spirits be at peace... Don't know.  I guess if that's the case I may never shoot one, but that's never been my goal.  Like I said, my goal is to find something unexpected, to find something that maybe no one else sees or has overlooked and then make people see it.  Not in a forceful way, just put it out there so it can be seen.  Then maybe those people who's graves have been broken, worn, and forgotten will be seen and remembered again... Maybe.
 Guess that's a nice way of thinking about it.  Like I try to be good to people and help them when I can, and I only hope that if I'm ever in a situation where I need help, I hope someone would be kind enough to do the same for me.  I guess in 150 years it would be nice to have my worn out, broken story brought into the light again ... you know?  Sorry, not trying to go all philosophical or morbid or deep, just sayin', that's all.
Anyway ... That's what happens when my head gets going and I'm writing ... never know where it's going to go or what's going to come out ... But I did get some shots that I liked or found interesting so ...
Here we go ...









Well, that was my morning Halloween shoot, and a start at getting some of my pictures out there.  Til next time ...
Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment